Featured Image Of The Week
Built in 1937 the Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium
opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan. 5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center, which existed until its closure in 1988. The buildings were acquired by the county the following year, and after sitting vacant for several years the main building was refurbished and put back into use.