Featured Image Of The Week
Hospital for the Insane was a private 40-bed hospital for 'mental and nervous diseases' which operated in Clifton Heights, a suburb of Philadelphia, PA. It was founded by Dr. R.A. Given, and openedg in the spring of 1860. The hospital continued to operate as a psychiatric hospital until 1969, when the changing atmosphere of mental healthcare casued it to close. When it was originally opened in the late 19th century, it was 8.5 miles from the limits of the City of Philadelphia, and located near the Oaklane station of the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroads.