Featured Image Of The Week
75 acres of land was purchased by Portsmouth Council
in the area between Velder Creek and Eastney Lake. Velder Creek has since been filled in and a housing estate built on it. The newly built Borough of Portsmouth Asylum (now St. James' Hospital) in Asylum Road (now Locksway Road) was opened on the 30th September 1879. The asylum was built on was rough land, but this provided a good opportunity for its cultivation by the patients as part of their occupational therapy and rehabilitation.