Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= stonehouse2.png
+
|Image= woodlandsPC.png
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= [[Stone House Hospital|The yellow brick building]] - a large, castellated structure in the 'Tudorbethan' style - was situated in extensive grounds. The central administration building contained offices, a grand dining room and a Great Hall (with kitchens adjacent) with a chapel above. The wings on each side of this building contained dormitories, wards and single cells; the one on the east housed male patients and that on the west female patients. A round water tower stood in the centre of the site. A two-storey pavilion block on the west of the site contained the laundry and the mortuary, and another on the east the bakery and workshops. Both pavilions were connected to the main building by covered walkways and both had sleeping accommodation on their upper floors. The Medical Superintendent had his own house (known today as 'The Hollies'). The site had four 'airing grounds', where patients could enjoy the outdoors; these contained outside lavatories (one of which survives today). Needless to say, the sexes were kept segregated. The Asylum had its own cemetery, on the north side of Bow Arrow Lane.
+
|Body= [[Woodlands Institution]] opened in New Westminster on May 17, 1878 as the Provincial Asylum for the Insane, later re-named the Provincial Hospital for the Insane. In 1950 it was renamed Woodlands School and in 1974 the name was changed again - to Woodlands. Although the asylum was originally presented as a modern approach to treating “lunatics” and the “feebleminded, it was soon criticized as gloomy and unfit for its purpose of caring for people today referred to as having psychiatric disabilities and intellectual disabilities.  
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 03:43, 4 November 2018

Featured Image Of The Week

woodlandsPC.png
Woodlands Institution opened in New Westminster on May 17, 1878 as the Provincial Asylum for the Insane, later re-named the Provincial Hospital for the Insane. In 1950 it was renamed Woodlands School and in 1974 the name was changed again - to Woodlands. Although the asylum was originally presented as a modern approach to treating “lunatics” and the “feebleminded, it was soon criticized as gloomy and unfit for its purpose of caring for people today referred to as having psychiatric disabilities and intellectual disabilities.