|(134 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Ukiah CA Postcard 1935. jpg |+|
Mendocino State Hospital]], originally the Mendocino State Asylum for the Insane, was established in 1889 (Statutes 1889, Ch. 23). By that law the Governor was authorized to appoint a board of directors of five members for a term of four years to select the site and to manage the institution. In October 1890, contracts were let out for the construction of the male ward building, connecting corridor, kitchen building, laundry, bakery, and the boiler and engine house. The contract for these buildings was for $182,520. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital]] , the the in , for the the . In , the of the , the .
Latest revision as of 03:59, 5 July 2020
Featured Image Of The Week
had refused to let the projected hospital be named after her, as many felt it should be. She agreed to have the site named "Dix Hill" after her grandfather, Doctor Elijah Dix. Since then the hospital has been known in the Raleigh area as "Dix Hill". Dorothea sent bibles, prayer books and pictures for the patients after the asylum opened. In 1870 she sent the asylum, at the request of the Board, an oil portrait of herself. Today the portrait is still housed on hospital property.