|(139 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
HilltopSH 01.jpg |+|
Victor Cullen State Hospital| The Victor Cullen Center]] is located in a rural area outside of Sabillasville, in Frederick County. The facility, originally named The Hilltop State Hospital, was built in 1907. It was the first state funded tuberculosis sanatorium in Maryland. It later became a State hospital and in 1965 became a reform school for boys. In 1967 the Cullen Academy was transferred and placed under the direction of Maryland’s Juvenile Services. The site contains approximately 500 acres. Most of the 30 buildings are within a security fence. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital|]] a in . named . It was the first for . . The approximately . .
Latest revision as of 04:57, 12 July 2020
Featured Image Of The Week
On Feb. 21, 1905, the Indiana legislature passed a bill
to construct a mental institution in southeastern Indiana. A commission named for the purpose chose Madison as the site of the institution. It was built mostly on land purchased from Henry and Ford Hitz at $100 per acre, atop the hills overlooking the Ohio River. The first patients were accepted at the new Southeastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane on Aug. 23, 1910. The approximately 600 patients were transported here from Central State Hospital in Indianapolis by train. Guards who stood watch over them carried shotguns loaded with rock salt.