|(621 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
|−|[[Image :HSH KIRK 02.jpg| 200px| left]] An image taken around 1900 showing the corner of the new Administration Building (Left) with the Main Building in the background. The Main Building was completely demolished in 1910. |+|
|]] the the with in the was .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.