|(572 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Fergus Falls State Hospital| Fergus Falls]] was the Third Hospital for the Insane, established by the Minnesota Legislature in 1887. Architect Warren Dunnell from Minneapolis, Minnesota used a layout proposed by Dr Thomas Kirkbride to allow patients a more natural environment. The hospital opened in July 1890 when it admitted 80 patients transferred from St. Peter State Hospital. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] the the ,in . , a to patients .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.