|(575 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
CSH Iowa 03.jpg |+|
In 1884 the state commission rallied for Clarinda to be the future site of Iowa's third mental asylum, which was to relieve crowding at the hospitals in Independence and Mt. Pleasant. Construction began July 1885 at a cost of $50, 000. William Foster & Henry F. Liebbe of Des Moines were the architects. The [[Clarinda State Hospital]] opened for patients in 1888. "At the time it was built, it was believed to be the largest building under one roof. " |+|
|Body= the state the the in and . ,of . in . the , was to be the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.