|(599 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Danville Vint 09. png |+|
From the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare web page: Danville State Hospital for the mentally ill, located one mile southeast of Danville, Pennsylvania, was incorporated on April 13, 1869. In October 1872, three years after the cornerstone of the Block Building was laid, [[ Danville State Hospital]] formally was opened. By September 30, 1873, 138 male and 72 female patients had been admitted for treatment. Other maintenance buildings had been erected by this time in order to increase the size and services of the facility. |+|
|Body= the of the [[State Hospital]] . , ,patients admitted . in the and the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.