|(607 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
With Eastern and Western State Hospitals seriously overcrowded the state opened the [[ Central State Hospital Louisville| Third Kentucky Lunatic Asylum]] near Anchorage. Originally known as the House of Reform for Juvenile Delinquents at Lakeland. Several years later the hospital began to house patients of all ages. By the 1920s allegations of abuse and neglect became an issue and beginning in the '30s the hospital began to perform lobotomies electroshock therapy and other methods to treat patients. |+|
|Body= the the [[State Hospital |]] . the . patients of . By the and to patients .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.