|(127 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Westborough State Hospital| Westborough State]] was established in 1886 as a residential treatment facility for the mentally ill. Westborough was one of the first hospitals in the United States to apply the principles of homeopathic medicine to the treatment of mental disorders. Its important place in the history of American psychiatry has been recognized through its inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |State ]] in . the in the of . in the the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.