|(128 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
TNmocbend2. png |+|
Moccasin Bend Psychiatric Hospital and Institute| Moccasin Bend Mental Health Institute]] was established by the Tennessee State Legislature as one of five regional inpatient psychiatric facilities operated by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health. Opened in 1961, the facility now serves a 23 county area in Upper Cumberland and southeast regions of Tennessee, with an estimated population of over 750, 000 people. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital |]] by the in the in and ,with of , .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.