|(133 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
LAcsh. png |+|
In 1902, the Louisiana Legislature created a facility to house and treat the mentally ill. The facility operated under several names since its opening in January 1906, but was later known as [[ Central Louisiana State Hospital]]. At its peak in 1959, the hospital housed over 3, 000 patients , but in recent years, patient numbers at Central dwindled to 246 in 1995 to 120 being cared for today. The hospital campus is over 400 acres. The hospital grounds also include the Civil War-era Fort Randolph. |+|
|Body= the to [[State Hospital]] . in , ,patients in , to to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.