|(136 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
AllentownPA 4.jpg |+|
Allentown State Hospital| The hospital]] is located on a high tract of land on the north bank of the Lehigh River, between Allentown and Bethlehem, about two miles from the former and three miles from the latter city. The Central Railroad of New Jersey runs immediately adjacent to the farm at the foot of its southern slope. The Allentown and Bethlehem Electric Line passes along the front of the property to the north. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] the the , ,the and to at the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.