|(140 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Fairfield State Hospital]] was created due to overcrowding at the other two state hospitals. The over all campus building style was Colonial Revival that was typical throughout New England. The hospital was designed not to have any dark corners or cubbyholes. The cornerstone was laid for the first building in July 1933. Roughly half of the main buildings were erected in the 1930s and '40s, with the rest of the larger ones completed in the 1950s . The hospital opened and received its first patients from Connecticut Valley Hospital on June 1, 1931. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital]] in . the in the 1930s and ,with of in the 1950sand patients .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.