|(143 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
MSsan3. png |+|
|Body= The [[
Mississippi State Sanatorium| Mississippi Tuberculosis Sanatorium]] was founded in 1916 by the Mississippi State legislature., and admitted its first patients on February 4, 1918. The facility was located on Highway 49, three miles North of Magee, Mississippi. Dr. Henry Boswell was the first Superintendent of the Sanatorium and remained so for the next forty years. |+|
|Body= The [[State |]] in by the . ,admitted of . . the and the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.