|(147 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
DCfreedmans1. png |+|
Freedmen's Hospital and Asylum| The Freedmen’s Hospital]] was founded in 1862 in Washington, DC. It was the first hospital of its kind to aid in the medical treatment of former slaves. Later it became the major hospital for the African American community in Washington, D.C. The hospital was founded on the grounds of Camp Barker at 13th and R Streets in Northwest Washington. It remained in that location until a new building was completed in 1909 at Bryant and 6th Street. Through much of its history the hospital was managed by the U.S. government. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital |Hospital]] in . the in the of . in . the and that at the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.