|(148 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Rsh 1890 -1899 1.jpg |+|
Rochester State Hospital| A modern power plant was constructed]] in 1916. Within the past few years a home for women nurses has been built and a club house for the men nurses is planned. The Legislature of 1909 appropriated $55,000 for the detention hospital and at the same time passed a voluntary commitment act. Into this building all the new patients are received. The hospital estate contains 1720 acres. The total number of inmates remaining in the hospital in January, 1914, was 602 men and 519 women. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] in . and the the and . patients . . the , was .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.