|(152 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
395 w full.jpg |+|
|Body= The [[
Oahu Insane Asylum]] , which opened in Kapālama in 1866, served long-term psychiatric patients. The legislature of the Hawaiian kingdom voted to establish the hospital in 1862. Four years later, six mentally afflicted patients were removed from the prison to the asylum. The hospital closed sometime in the 1930's when most of the patients were transferred to the new Oahu hospital in 1930. No record of the facility after the transfers was readily available. |+|
|Body= The [] in . the the in . , patients were . in the patients to the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.