|(155 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
DDix Hosp Hist1.jpg |+|
It was believed that a "moral treatment" such as fixed schedules, development of routine habits, calm and pleasant surroundings, proper diet, some medications, physical and mental activities carried out in a kindly manner with a minimum of physical restraints would cure the patients. Ornamental gardens and landscaped grounds with walks were developed. [[Dorothea Dix Hospital|A hospital farm]] was established to provide food for patients and staff. |+|
|Body= of and , ,with of the and was to patients .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.