|(164 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Citizens donated $3200 to purchase 640 acres, three miles southeast of [[ Abilene State School| Abilene and the land was given to the state for the colony.]] The site was chosen due to close access to the railroad, which made it easy to receive building materials and patients. The acreage was used to raise animals and crops for food and for homes and administrative offices. The colony cost $200 ,000 to build. The original institution was an administration building, power plant, women's hospital, men's hospital, four resident cottages and the superintendent's residence. Two weeks before the school opened, the water tower fell and left the colony without water. A temporary tower was erected, but supplied only enough water for 1/3 of the patients . It was not replaced with a standpipe until six years later. |+|
|Body= to [[State |]] . and and . 200 . . the , and was patients not .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.