|(184 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
The [[ Athens State Hospital| Administration building]] housed offices of the Superintendent, assistant physicians, steward, and a general reception room for visitors. Two wings added to the building were used for patients . The second floor contained apartments of the medical superintendent. The third and fourth floors were used for administrative offices. |+|
|Body= The [[State Hospital |]] the , ,, and a to patients the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.