|(200 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
[[ Hastings State Hospital]] was established by an act of the legislature (Laws 1899 c230) as the Second State Asylum for the Insane. The site of Hastings, Minnesota was chosen. At its opening in 1900, it served as a transfer asylum, admitting patients from other state hospitals. It did not admit women until 1944 except for four years staring in 1905. The hospital's name was changed to Hastings State Asylum in 1919 and to Hastings State Hospital in 1937. Hastings State Hospital was closed on May 1st, 1978. All patients were either transferred or discharged to homes or other state hospitals or facilities. The second state veterans home was established on the site of the hospital. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital]] by the the . , ,patients . in . was to patients to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.