|(209 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
HilltopSH 02.jpg |+|
The [[ Victor Cullen State Hospital| Victor Cullen Center]] is located in a rural area outside of Sabillasville, in Frederick County. The facility, originally named The Hilltop State Hospital, was built in 1907. It was the first state funded tuberculosis sanatorium in Maryland. It later became a State hospital and in 1965 became a reform school for boys. In 1967 the Cullen Academy was transferred and placed under the direction of Maryland’s Juvenile Services. |+|
|Body= The [[State Hospital |]] in in . , ,in . the and a the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.