|(225 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Construction of [[ Battey State Hospital| Battey General Hospital]] started in March of 1943 to serve as a hospital for sick, wounded and disabled World War II servicemen. It was fully activated on September 1, 1943 with Col. D. B.Faust as its first executive officer. The hospital was named for Dr. Robert Battey of Rome Georgia, who was a nationally famed pioneer in the surgical treatment for ovarian cancer and who built a medical complex in downtown Rome. |+|
|Body= of [[State Hospital |Hospital]] in and . ,with . . , was a the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.