|(228 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
The government did not spare any expense with [[ Saskatchewan Hospital| the institution.]] They had initially set aside $450,000 to build just the main building, which came to over seven hundred feet in length and divided into three portions. In the end the complete cost for the institution, including plumbing, equipment, power house, laundry, and the other necessary support buildings was roughly $1,000,000. Still, the investment did not stop there. According to the impressed reporter from the Regina Leader, “Beginning with the exterior as it is seen by the observer, the approach to the grounds will be of the most artistic design.” Once the visitor has travelled through two miles of beautiful grounds “up above the bank of the North Saskatchewan, and hidden amid the trees which will grace the park, stands the building itself. ” |+|
|Body= The [[Hospital |]] the in and . In , ,, and was did not to be the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.