|(232 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
fultonadmin1930s. png |+|
In 1847, [[ Fulton State Hospital| the Missouri General Assembly]] enacted legislation to establish an asylum for the insane in the central area of the state. This institution was to provide physical care for societal " lunatics." Several counties were encouraged to bid for this institution. Callaway County was able to produce $11,500 and 500 acres of land, thus winning the bid. Fulton State Hospital, the first public mental institution west of the Mississippi River in 1851, admitted its first 67 patients in December. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] the in the . "" . . the , patients .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.