|(247 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Newberry Mich SH PC.jpg |+|
[[ Newberry State Hospital| The hospital]] was established under Act No. 210, Public Acts of 1893. It appropriated funds for only 2 cottages & 1 industrial building. The first patients were received November, 1895. Plans for a completed institution were prepared and closely adhered to . They provided for 20 buildings arranged in a quadrangle, 17 designed for care and reception of patients , 1 as an administration building, another as an assembly hall and the other as a kitchen/dining hall. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] . ,of . . , were and to patients the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.