|(262 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
marydendy1. png |+|
The [[ Mary Dendy Hospital]] was opened in 1908 as the Sandlebridge Boarding School (often referred to as the Sandlebridge Colony) by the Incorporated Lancashire and Cheshire Society for the Permanent Care of the Feeble Minded; this Society was founded in 1898, by members of the Manchester School Board, who had noted the inadequacies of educational provisions made for mentally deficient (feeble minded) children of school age. |+|
|Body= The [[Hospital]] in by and the the in ,of the , the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.