|(271 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
brislington. png |+|
Purchased in 1799 by Edward Long Fox(1760 - 1835), construction begun in 1804,on [[ Brislington House| former common land]] close to the village of Brislington, and was opened 1806 called initially Brislington House. It cost about 35, 000 pounds to build and equip and was designed as a group of detached houses (these were later joined together). Some detached houses on the estate were used for members of the nobility. Staircases, doors, joists and window frames were all constructed of iron to minimize the risk of fire. |+|
|Body= [[|]] the and . ,as of . the were and to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.