|(274 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
On April 17, 1857, the Ohio government established the [[ Columbus Feeble Minded Institute| Institution for Feeble Minded Youth]]. Located in Columbus, Ohio, the institution rented several buildings on East Main Street. In the first year of the Institution for Feeble Minded Youth’s existence, nine students enrolled. By the third year, the institution began to average between forty and fifty students every year. |+|
|Body= the the [[|]] . in the . In of . By the , the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.