|(277 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
The 20.7 acre campus at Grays Ferry Avenue served as the [[ U.S. Naval Asylum and Hospital| Naval Asylum (later called the Naval Home)]] from the completion of its central building in 1833 to its closing in 1976. It contains three buildings — the central Biddle Hall flanked by the Surgeon's residence to the left and the Governor's residence to the right — designed by architect William Strickland and considered one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in the country. The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. |+|
|Body= The the [[Hospital |]] in . by and the the and of in . the and a .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.