|(291 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
MDcrownsville6. png |+|
By 1948 [[ Crownsville State Hospital| the hospital]] had approximately 1, 800 patients. Patient population peaked in 1955 with 2, 710 and was integrated by 1962. After serving the state psychiatric inpatient population for over ninety years, Crownsville Hospital Center closed on June 30, 2004. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] , patients . in 1955, and was the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.