|(300 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
WSH Vintage 12.jpg |+|
Warren State Hospital| The hospital structure]] is composed of a main center building and three horizontal sections on each side, at right angles with the center, and connected by transverse wings parallel with the center, and extending back so that each horizontal section shall be fully open at both ends of the main hall. The center building is of four stories, the horizontal wings of three stories, and the transverse blocks of four stories. There are gas works, a greenhouse and water reservoir. The latter was placed on the hill above the hospital, and has a capacity of 1,500,000 gallons. The floors throughout the building are of Georgia pine, the remainder of the wood-' work being walnut, ash and oak. Connected with the building are a laundry, kitchen, machine shop and carpenter shop. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] and the the and . , ,of . . the , and a the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.