|(311 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Seaside Regional Center]] was designed by Cass Gilbert for the treatment of children with bone and glandular tuberculosis by prolonged exposure to the sun, a procedure called heliotherapy. In 1958 the tuberculosis program ends. In 1959 Seaside reopened as Seaside Geriatric Hospital. In Feb of 1961, admissions to Seaside Geriatric Hospital stopped. In May 1961, it was converted to Seaside Regional Center for the Mentally Retarded under the administration of the Dept. of Health and Office of Mental Retardation. |+|
|Body= [] by and the the . In as . . , was to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.