|(324 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
PAlaureltonPC. png |+|
Laurelton State Village]] started its life as the Laurelton Village for feeble-minded women of childbearing age. Being the first of its kind, the initial concept was intended to detain, segregate, care for, and train feeble-minded women of childbearing age (between the ages of 16 and 45 years). Construction began in 1914 on 230 acres of land, with the first cottage opening in 1917 with 36 residents. Within the next ten years six more buildings were constructed, with the population increasing to 500. The institution was self-suffiecent, with residents working on the farm harvesting food, doing laundry and working in the kitchen. |+|
|Body= [[State ]] . and the in the in . were with . the , and the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.