|(339 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Agnwews2. png |+|
In the 1906 earthquake, [[ Agnews State Hospital| the main treatment building collapsed]], crushing 112 residents and staff under a pile of rubble. The victims were buried in a mass grave on the asylum cemetery grounds. The Institution was then redesigned with low-rise buildings that resembled a college campus. According to the information from DDS there are 607 documented burials here from 1889-1906. Burials continued at the hospital through the 1960s. |+|
|Body= the [[State Hospital |]] , of . in the was that to at the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.