|(340 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
stjames4. png |+|
St. James Hospital| 75 acres of land was purchased by Portsmouth Council]] in the area between Velder Creek and Eastney Lake. Velder Creek has since been filled in and a housing estate built on it. The newly built Borough of Portsmouth Asylum (now St. James' Hospital) in Asylum Road (now Locksway Road) was opened on the 30th September 1879. The asylum was built on was rough land, but this provided a good opportunity for its cultivation by the patients as part of their occupational therapy and rehabilitation. The community would be as self sufficient as possible, having its own farm and growing its own crops. The land cost £14, 000 and the buildings £120,000. The first Medical Superintendent was Dr. W.C. Bland who was succeeded in 1895 by Dr. B.H. Mumby. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital |]] in . and in the . ,patients as of . . , and the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.