|(610 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Kankakee. png |+|
Historical photograph of the Kirkbride building at [[ Kankakee State Hospital]]. The institution was established in 1877 and construction began in 1878 with the first patients admitted in 1879. The building features many of the typical Kirkbride plan features from a bell/clock tower, spread out wings of wards on either side of a central admin, and extensively planned grounds and gardens. |+|
|Body= of the [[State Hospital]] . and in the patients admitted in . the a out .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.