|(343 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
mansfield3. png |+|
|Body= The [[
Mansfield Training School]] was established in 1917 with the merging of two institutions, the Connecticut Colony for Epileptics and the Connecticut Training School for the Feeble Minded (previously known as the School for Imbeciles) " to provide for the care, custody, education and employment of mental defective (feeble minded) and epileptic persons." On its opening on July 1, 1917 there were 402 students in residence. |+|
|Body= The [] in the the and as "the , and there .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.