|(611 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Embreeville 01.jpg |+|
Embreeville State Hospital]] started out as a county poor house. On September 29, 1938 the state took control of the hospital as part of the " Full State Care Act" . The legislature (Act #53) assumed responsibility for eight of the thirteen existing county public mental hospitals, the other five hospitals were closed. In 1971 a juvenile detention center took over a couple buildings at the hospital for six years before moving on to better accommodations. By 1979, the total statewide state hospital census was reduced to 10,573 patients and resulted in the closure of several state hospitals; Embreeville was closed in 1980. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital]] . the the as "" of . . By , was to patients the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.