|(354 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
michnorthernTB. png |+|
Built in 1937 the [[ Northern Michigan Tuberculosis Sanatorium]] opened in 1937 as a 128 bed TB Sanatorium just a few miles outside of Gaylord, Michigan. 5 accessory buildings were added and the facility took over a 160 acre plot before converting eventually being converted to a state hospital for the mentally handicapped. The named changed in 1972 to the Alpine Center, which existed until its closure in 1988. The buildings were acquired by the county the following year, and after sitting vacant for several years the main building was refurbished and put back into use. |+|
|Body= the [] in . and the the . ,in . the , and the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.