|(358 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
colquitz1. png |+|
third major cog in British Columbia’s psychiatric apparatus was the [[ Colquitz Mental Hospital| Provincial Mental Home, Colquitz,]] which opened its doors in 1919 and functioned until 1964 as a containment facility for men who were considered ‘criminally insane, ’ or who were characterized as either too dangerous to house in the mainland psychiatric institutions, or too disordered to be interned in the federal or provincial prison systems. At it's peak it held over 300 inmates. |+|
|Body= The the [[Hospital |]] in 1919and ,were as in the , to be the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.