|(360 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
PSH HIST 33.jpg |+|
In 1936, a [[ Philadelphia State Hospital| Philadelphia Record photographer Mac Parker]] , disguising himself as an attendant, snuck in his camera onto the hospital grounds and took some very revealing photos of life inside Byberry. His photos, revealed what it was like inside of the " snake pit" , and caused a sensation of negative public opinion. In 1938, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania intervened, and absorbed Byberry into the state hospital system. With new state funds, a comprehensive new building plan was instated to alleviate the overcrowding of the site, as well as hire qualified and empathetic staff. In 1938, George Wharton Pepper Jr. was hired as the new primary architect of the campus, as the former, Philip Johnson, had died in 1933. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] in the and . ,"" of . into . the , and was the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.