|(362 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
OHmonroeCO. png |+|
|Body= The [[
Monroe County Infirmary| Monroe County Care Center]] has seen tremendous growth over the past 100 years. In 1899, a vision was fulfilled and the doors opened on a facility designed to meet the needs of the less fortunate. The building , known as the Monroe County Infirmary, was erected at a cost of $40,000 and served approximately 45 residents. |+|
|Body= The [[|]] . and the the . ,as the , was at .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.