|(367 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
With the Essex County Asylum becoming extremely overcrowded, a plan for a [[ Severalls Hospital| Second Lunatic Asylum for Essex]] is developed. Construction for the Second Essex County Asylum begins on June 21, 1910 on 300 acres of land north of Colchester, in the Parish of Mile End (Myland) known as The Severalls. |+|
|Body= the [[Hospital |]] . the ,of , the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.