|(371 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Reffield SD State Hospital.jpg |+|
The [[ Redfield State Hospital| South Dakota Developmental Center]] was established by the state legislature in 1899. The facility opened in February 1902 as the Northern Hospital for the Insane with 45 people in a three story building made of Sioux Falls granite. All direct contact staff as well as administrative staff lived there. All legislation concerning establishment, admissions, and support indicates that these facilities were not intended to be used by people who had mental illness, but for those persons who had a developmental disability. |+|
|Body= The [[State Hospital |]] by the in . as with of . . , and that not to be .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.