|(381 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
April 23rd 1907 the state approved $8,000 for construction of a facility for disturbed and deformed children. Until then children had been kept at a ward at the City and County Hospital in St. Paul. Renamed [[ Gillette State Hospital for Crippled Children]] in memory of Dr. Arthur Gillette in 1925. In 1977 the hospital moved into it's current location and the former facility was torn down except for one building now used by the city park department. |+|
|Body= the of the [[State Hospital]] in of . in . the and the facility.
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.