|(394 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Topeka Kansas8.jpg |+|
Legislature appropriated $25,000 in 1875 "for the purpose of building an [[ Topeka State Hospital| asylum for the insane at some convenient and healthy spot]] within two miles of the state capitol building in the city of Topeka. " One condition was that the land would be acquired at no cost to the state. So the city of Topeka and Shawnee County each contributed $6,000 to purchase the original 80 acres. |+|
|Body= the of [[State Hospital |]] the in the of . was that be at the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.